Guwahati, April 18, 2019
In an unfortunate incident, four workers from Cachar district in Assam were suffocated to death while cleaning a tank of the textile unit in Tiruppur area.
As per reports, the incident took place on April 14th, 2019, when one Farooq Ahamed (22) fainted while entering the tank, after inhaling the noxious fumes. Three other workers Anwar Hussain (24), Dilwar Hussain (23) and Abu (22) went into the tank and fainted, as reported in The Hindu.
Despite they were pulled out from the tank three of them died on the process, Dilwar died while he was taken to the hospital for treatment.
As per the police, the incident took place at a unit run by Jayakumar at Karuppa Goundan Palayam and reportedly the license of the Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board (TNPCB) had expired a month ago.
The Revenue Divisional Officer(RDO) who inspected the washing unit told they would check whether the unit had followed the norms mandated by the TNPCB and Tiruppur Municipal Corporation, as reported further in the Hindu.
Meanwhile the Tiruppur City Police Commissioner Sanjay Kumar has stated that the unit will be sealed as it was running the unit without a license and that efforts are on to give compensation to the next of kin.