Guwahati: Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti leader Akhil Gogoi on Thursday withdrew the hunger strike launched inside the Guwahati central jail as the jail authority assured Gogoi to recommend the demands to the state government for early consideration.
Reportedly, Gogoi, along with more than 1200 jail inmates launched mass hunger strike inside the central jail premises on Thursday pressing the jail authority to fulfil a series of demands.
The hunger strike was launched demanding to stop fresh enrolment of inmates without swab testing, allow visitors, particularly the lawyers and family members, to meet the inmates following Covid-19 guideline, increasing of the scheduled ‘two minutes’ of conversation time with the relatives and lawyers to at least 10 minutes, supplying of pure drinking water round the clock, to improve the quality of food and to provide adequate health facilities.
Inspector general of prison, Assam Dasarath Das said, “The hunger strike was withdrawn on Thursday evening. We have negotiated and agreed to recommend the demands to the state government for early consideration.”
The IGP said, “We are compelled to enrol fresh inmates to the Guwahati central jail. However, we have been following the standards of the Covid-19 guideline. We have collected swab tests of four jail inmates so far. All precautionary measures are strictly followed.”
Das further said that all the fresh inmates are kept separately for 14 days in the quarantine wards of the jail premises. “Our doctors have been monitoring the situation round the clock.”
The IGP, however, said that increasing of the scheduled 2 minutes of conversation time allotted for the inmates to talk with their respective lawyers and relatives was not possible in the meantime. “In spite of that, we will recommend the government to install another telephone connection inside the jail premises. Presently, there is only one,” he added.