Guwahati: In a tragic incident, two children were charred to death at Gossaigaon area in Kokrajhar after a massive fire – sparked in a bundle of jute stick – engulfed the duo, who were playing among themselves at around 11 am on Tuesday.
The victims were identified as Archina Kisku, who was four years old, and Moniram Hembrahma of five years.
According to eye witnesses, the duo was busy playing while the fatal fire from dry jute stick engulfed them. Upon witnessing the incident, parents of the children and neighbours rushed to the spot and tried to save the duo but failed to douse the fire.
Meanwhile, police reached the spot and sent the charred bodies for post-mortem.
An inquiry will be conducted to ascertain the cause of the incident.