28 C
Guwahati
Wednesday, April 21, 2021
More

    Assam: Bajali gets Agarbatti stick-making unit

    It is noteworthy that only 16% of bamboo is used for making Agarbatti sticks while the remaining 84% of bamboo goes waste

    GUWAHATI: Assam ’s newly formed district of Bajali got a major bamboo Agarbatti stick-making unit named “Keshari Bio Products LLP” on Thursday. Union Minister of Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the unit through video conference.

    Set up at a cost of Rs 10 crore, the Agarbatti stick unit will provide direct employment to 350 people while also creating over 300 indirect employments. An example of “Waste to Wealth” as apart from making Agarbatti sticks, it utilizes a huge quantity of waste bamboo into making bio-fuel and various other products.

    Setting up of these units in Assam assumes great significance in wake of the Centre’s decision of restriction on import of raw Agarbatti from China and Vietnam and also a hike in import duty on round bamboo sticks for Agarbatti. The two decisions were taken essentially to curb the huge import of Agarbatti and bamboo sticks from the two countries that had crippled the Indian Agarbatti industries.

    Hundreds of closed Agarbatti manufacturing units in India were revived in the last one and half years creating nearly 3 lakh new jobs.

    Keshari Bio Products LLP is the first big project that has come up after these policy decisions.

    It is noteworthy that only 16% of bamboo is used for making Agarbatti sticks while the remaining 84% of bamboo goes waste. However, with diverse technology employed by Keshari Bio Products LLP, every bit of the bamboo is utilised.

    The waste bamboo is burnt to produce methane gas which is mixed with diesel as an alternate fuel. The burnt bamboo is also used for making charcoal powder for Agarbatti and fuel briquettes. The waste bamboo is also used for making ice-cream sticks, chopsticks, spoons and other items.

    At present, the consumption of incense sticks in India is pegged at a whopping 1490 tons per day but only 760 tons per day is locally produced. Hence, the huge gap between the demand and supply resulted in heavy import of raw Agarbatti. Consequently, the import of raw Agarbatti increased from just 2% in 2009 to 80% in 2019.

    Read more : ‘Himanta Biswa is misleading Assam’: AASU

    Published:

    Follow TIME8.IN on TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and on YOUTUBE to stay in the know with what’s happening in the world around you – in real time

    First published

    TRENDING

    Section 144 clamped in Shillong; Shops and Markets to remain close on Sundays

    After Assam, the East Khasi Hills district in Meghalaya has imposed some restrictions amid the COVID 19 scare in the state

    Assam MP’s nephew passes away; suicide suspected

    Kaushik Oja, also the nephew of Guwahati Lok Sabha MP Queen Oja, allegedly died by suicide in the wee hours of Thursday.

    Covid19 Scare: Assam Govt yet to decide on holding Board exams

    The total active COVID-19 cases in Assam now stand to 3,200 with 1,122 death cases

    Two murders marred Bihu festivities in Assam

    A man hacked his father to death over some family dispute in Dhubri

    97 fresh COVID-19 positive cases traced in Meghalaya, Active rises to 457

    East Khasi Hills is the worst affected district with 360 active cases

    Meghalaya Govt prohibits smoking and spitting in public places; Fine upto Rs 1000

    The decision was taken as per the provisions of sections 51-60 of the Disaster Management Act 2005 and section 188 of the Indian Penal Code

    No Covid scare at Gauhati University! PG 1st semester exams to be held as per schedule

    A second phase of the examination may be conducted for the students who are not able to appear in the examinations at a convenient time: GU