People of India are not ready to accept the newly enacted Citizenship Amendment Act(CAA) passed by the Parliament last year. To express their opposition the citizens have resorted to sit-in, rallies and apparently cultural protests gained momentum in the country.
Students fraternities, artiste groups, organizations were seen taking the musical journey, reciting poems, raps and soulful renditions to mark their agitation.
Amongst this, the legendary poet and writer Faiz Ahmed Faiz’s iconic poem ‘Hum Dekhenge’ gained prominence and turned into an anthem reverberating in parts of the country during anti-CAA protests in India.
The Urdu nazm, ‘Hum Dekhenge’ was included in the seventh poetry book of Faiz — Mere Dil Mere Musafir. It was composed as a medium of protest against Zia Ul Haq’s oppressive regime. It was recreated in Coke Studio Season 11 on July 22nd, 2018.
The poem written in Pakistan in 1979 and published in 1981, had its usage in 2020 in India where people expressed their dissent against the government and their voices be heard.
Controversy Surrounding the poem
The poem was embroiled into controversy after the Indian Institute Of Technology(IIT), Kanpur announced to set up a panel to investigate if ‘Hum Dekhenge’ is ‘anti-Hindu’. The decision was made after the protesting students sang the song on the campus. The students’ media body, however, rejected the charges as ‘misinformed and communal’, saying that it ‘divorced the poem out of its societal context’.
Here are some soulful renditions of ‘Hum Dekhenge’ that have gone viral on the internet:
- When students sang in ‘Hum Dekhenge’ in unison during a media workshop at the IIMC in New Delhi.
- The Coke Studio Season 11 version of the revolutionary poem ‘Hum Dekhenge’ will leave you stunned.
- Did you know ‘Hum Dekhenge’ has a Malayalam version too.
- YouTuber Poojan Sahil’s upbeat musical version of this poem went viral on social media.
- When Sukhnid Kaur and Abhilasha Singa made a duet on the poem playing the piano.
- ‘Hum Dekhenge’ now has a beautiful Tamil rendition. The music video which features anti-CAA protestors in Chennai is sung by Anjana.
- Sonam Kalra’s melodious rendition of ‘Hum Dekhenge’ will give you goosebumps.
- Actor Saba Sultan Azad standing in solidarity with Shaheen Bagh protesters and singing ‘hum Dekhenge’.
Photo Credit: Twitter