GUWAHATI: Ahead of the state’s assembly polls to be held sometime in April-May, the entire state of Assam has been declared as a ‘Disturbed Area’ for the next six months.
An official communiqué on Wednesday said, “As per powers conferred under Section 3 of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958, the Governor of Assam has declared the entire State of Assam as “Disturbed Area” up to 6 (six) months beyond 27/02/2021 unless withdrawn earlier.”
Surprisingly the announcement came a day later over 1000 militants of at least five outfits surrendered.
Sources said that the move was initiated following the recoveries of arms and ammunition at various locations of the state in the last six months.
Last year in August, the state government had extended the ‘Disturbed Area’ tag for the state for 6 more months from August 28. The state government then has reasoned that the state has been declared a disturbed area in view of insurgent attacks on security forces in Northeast India and recovery of arms and ammunition in Assam.
The AFSPA empowers the security forces to conduct operations and arrest anyone anywhere without prior notice. The AFSPA is renewed every six months. Besides Assam, the AFSPA is in force in Nagaland, Manipur (excluding the Imphal Municipal Council Area), Changlang, Longding and Tirap districts of Arunachal Pradesh, and areas falling within the jurisdiction of the eight police stations of districts in Arunachal Pradesh bordering Assam.