Guwahati: Assam government has issued an order barring the government doctors, nurses, and paramedical staff from working in private facilities or to be involved in private practice till September 30, 2020.
The government said that non-compliance with the order will attract punishment under the relevant sections of the Epidemic Diseases Act, 1987, Disaster Management Act, 2005 etc.
Sources said the move came in light of the severe shortage of staff in the light of the coronavirus outbreak.
The freshly issued order is an extension of an earlier order; wherein the restriction was valid till July 31.
It’s to be mentioned that the extension order was issued after some of the doctors of Silchar government colleges allegedly started extending the services in private medical facilities and their personal clinics earlier in August 2020.
“In view of the need to take all necessary steps to contain the spread of COVID-19 infection, the Government in Health & Family Welfare Department hereby extends the aforesaid prohibition of private practice for another period of 2 (two) months ending on 30/09/2020,” the order said.
With 2669 COVID cases detected in the last 24 hours, Assam’s COVID count reached 64, 406. So far, at least 155 deaths were recorded in the state.