The Department of Personnel and Training issued a notification paving way for a CBI probe in Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput’s death. The development came hours after Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the Centre, told the Supreme Court that it had accepted Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar’s request for a CBI probe.
The Supreme Court had sought a status report from Maharashtra Police on the investigation into Rajput’s death.
The SC bench asked Maharashtra, Bihar and Rajput’s father to file their replies on actor Rhea Chakraborty’s petition seeking transfer of the case from Patna to Mumbai.
A bench headed by Justice Hrishikesh Roy said the truth behind Sushant’s death needs to come out. “Truth should come out so far as the actor’s death is concerned,” the bench said. Rajput, aged 34, was found hanging from the ceiling of his apartment in suburban Bandra in Mumbai on June 14.
The Bihar Police had last week registered an FIR against Chakraborty, her family members and others on the charge of abetment to suicide, cheating, criminal breach of trust, criminal intimidation and wrongful confinement. The counsel of Rajput’s father alleged that in the SC that Maharashtra Police was destroying evidence in the case.