GUWAHATI: Dibrugarh district administration on Monday ordered a probe into the incident of fire at Assam Medical College and Hospital (AMCH) claiming the life of a child.
On Sunday night, a massive fire broke out in the ICU Mother and Child Care unit of AMCH. The newborns were safely evacuated to the other departments of the hospital.
Hospital sources said that the deceased child was in the intensive care unit (ICU) with ventilation support. The child reportedly died after the disconnection of electricity due to the fire.
A short circuit was believed to have caused the fire.
The incident created panic among the patients and attendees present at the hospital. Some of the other patients also received injuries while trying to flee the hospital campus.
Fire fighters managed to douse the fire after few hours.