Guwahati: The flood situation in Assam is slowly improving with water levels receding in many rivers. The number of dead climbed to 64, with five more deaths being reported on July 21st, 2019.
- In Assam, over 38.37 lakh people in 18 out of 33 districts have been hit by the calamity. As per Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA)’s daily flood bulletin, two casualties have been reported from Morigaon and each from Dhemaji, Goalpara and Kamrup.
2. Assam Governor Jagdish Mukhi on July 21st, 2019 made an aerial visit to Kaziranga to take stock of the devastation caused by flood in the Park.
3. The natural calamity has damaged over 1.35 lakh hectares of cropland across 2,669 villages.
4. According to the Kaziranga National Park authority, 187 wild animals including 16 rhinos have died in the park during the flood so far. Among the wild animals, 103 hog deer, 13 wild boar, 12 sambar, one elephant, six swamp deer, two water buffalo, three porcupines were drowned in flood waters in the park.
5. 6,371 persons have been evacuated and over 1.15 lakh have taken shelter in the 658 relief camps.
6. The Brahmaputra at Nematighat (Jorhat), Dhubri; Jia Bharali at N.T. Rd Xing(Sonitpur) and Kopili at Dharamtul(Nagaon) are flowing above the danger mark.
7. The affected districts as on July 21st, 2019 were Dhemaji, Biswanath, Darrang, Barpeta, Nalbari, Chirang, Bongaigaon, Kokrajhar, Dhubri, South Salmara, Goalpara, Kamrup, Kamrup(M), Morigaon, Nagaon, Golaghat, Jorhat and Cachar.
8. Bank washed away by the river Brahmaputra at Bull-Head No 1 in Biswanath.
9. Eminent litterateur Yeshe Dorjee Thongchi has contributed ₹ 1 lakh towards Chief Minister’s Relief Fund.
10. Bongaigaon district administration has provided financial assistance of Rs 3800 to 110 families of the district who have lost their houses and belongings during the current wave of floods. Deputy Commissioner of Bongaigaon, Adil Khan visited the flood-affected areas and directed the PWD, Water Resource departments to initiate immediate measures for rehabilitation of the people.