Guwahati, April 27, 2019
Tourists from across the globe have been flocking to the eight Northeastern (NE) states of India for its tropical weather, lush green forests, picturesque views, majestic mountain peaks and so on.
Going with the clean and serene image of the NE, Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh has been able to attract a lot of attention since it was conferred with the cleanest district title in the region. The district has also been tobacco free for 35 years in a row.
We have made a list of top reasons on why you should visit the hilly destination surrounded by magnificent mountains and crystal clear water once in your lifetime.
Check them out:
- Situated at an altitude of over 10,000 feet, the place is blessed with nature’s bounty. The district receives snowfall every year between December–January. With the snow-capped mountains, tourists get a picturesque view
- While in Tawang make sure you visit the 400-year-old Tawang Monastery, located in Tawang city of the district. It is the largest monastery in India and the second largest in Asia. The monastery is three stories high and is enclosed by a 925 feet long compound wall. There are 65 residential buildings within the complex
- If you are a wanderlust and an adventure junkie and want your tour to be more blissful, this place is a bonanza for adventure lovers from hiking to rock climbing. You can meditate at Taktsang Gompa, hiking at Gorichen Peak, there are also a number of spots to try paragliding
- When in Tawang make sure you seek solace at the beautiful Sela Pass. The high-altitude mountain pass located on the border between the Tawang and West Kameng Districts of Arunachal Pradesh is a slice of heaven you can yearn for
- The district celebrates its beauty every day not just with its natural beauty but also because of its vibrant street food culture
- Shopping is another option for the ones who want a little memory to take back from the places they visit. In Tawang its the famous Tibetan Settlement Market where you can find all kinds of materials – garments, jewellery and many more
- Also, make sure you visit the Bum La Pass located about 37 km away from Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh. The mountainous pass is covered with heavy snow throughout the year. It is one of the most off-beat passes in the world and is also referred to as the pass from where Dalai Lama entered India escaping from Tibet