Sote goye goye Bohage palehi
Fulile bhebeli lota.
Koinu koi thakile uroke napore Rongali Bihure kotha.
It’s again that time of the year! The Bihu fever has gripped Assam and its diaspora even amidst elections. Preparations in the various Bihu Sanmilanis are going on in full swing with organizers adding the last minute touch-ups.
Like every year, the city Bihu organizers have lined up a plethora of Bihu Sanmilans which will host various competitions, including Bihu Konwari, Bihu Rani, Bihu Husori, Bihu Samragi and so on. Besides these, a number of indigenous sports, folk dance and music events will also be there.
- Mukoli Bihu, which is very integral and is the root of Rongali Bihu will be organized on April 14th, 2019 at the Judges’ Field in Guwahati from 10:15 am. The All Assam Students’ Union organizes this programme every year where a number of distinguished personalities from different walks of life will grace the occasion.
- Guwahati Bihu Sanmilani is the oldest Bihu Sanmilan of the city which is held at the Latasil playground in the city. The Bihu committee will be organizing their 68th edition this time with an estimated budget of approximately Rs 25 lakh. It will start on April 14th, 2019 and will continue for four days. Singing sensation Zubeen Garg will perform in this event on April 16th, 2019. This year, 12 contestants have been finalised for the coveted Bihu Samragyi competition. The contestants have been finalized through auditions in several parts of the State.
- Paschim Guwahati Bihu Sanmilan, which will be celebrating their 56th edition this year, will start on April 14th, 2019 and will continue for the next four days. The estimated budget is approximately Rs 21 lakh.
- Pandu Bihu Sanmilani Maligaon, which will be kicking off their 58th edition, will start from April 14th, 2019. The estimated budget is approximately Rs 20 lakh.
- Pub Guwahati Bihu Sanmilan, which will be starting their 58th edition, will start from April 14 till four days, the estimated budget of which is approximately 30 lakh.
- Noonmati Bihu Sanmilan, which will be celebrating their 56th edition, will start on April 14th and will continue till next four days. The estimated budget is approximately Rs 18 to Rs 22 lakh.
- Ulubari Rongali Bihu Sanmilan, which will be kick-starting their 54th edition, will start from April 14 and continue till next three days. The estimated budget is approximately Rs 25 lakh.
Meanwhile, adequate security arrangements have been put in place across Guwahati to thwart any untoward incident the month-long Rongali Bihu celebration. A team of officers have been appoiinted to appointed city’s Bihu celebrations and ensure its smooth conduct.
The Bihu committees have been asked to abide by the rules and provide enough volunteers to be trained by the local police for crowd management. Like the previous year, the committess have been ordered to end Bihu functions on time.
CCTVs have been installed in and around the Bihu pandals of the city for strict surveillance. City people have been advised not to leave their houses fully vacant during late nights to avert theft and robbery.
The seven-day festival is celebrated in seven phases – Chot, Kutum, Mela, Raati, Goru, Manuh and Chera. It begins with goru bihu or cow bihu on April 15th, 2019, where the cows are washed and worshipped. This is followed by manuh (human) Bihu on April 16th, 2019, the New Year Day when people are seen in new attires.