Guwahati: Ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Assam’s hill district of Karbi Anglong, Assam government has decided to recommend withdrawing of at least 89 criminal cases of Karbi militant cadres.
The move has come as a part of the Karbi peace accord signed between the government and five Karbi militant groups last year to end Karbi Anglong unrest.
On Friday, as a part of the accord, the state government distributed bank documents of fixed deposits worth Rs 4 lakh each to some 1926 former cadres of the various Karbi outfits. The militants belong to People’s Democratic Council of Karbi Longri (PDCK), Karbi Longri NC Hills Liberation Front (KLNLF), Karbi People’s Liberation Tiger (KPLT), Kuki Liberation Front (KLF) and United Peoples Liberation Army (UPLA).
Attending the function, chief minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said, “We have decided to recommend withdrawal of at least 89 criminal cases out of 185 of the former outfit members within a week. I have also asked the concerned authority to accelerate the process of withdrawing the rest of the cases shortly.”
Sarma announced that Prime Minister Narendra Modi would visit the hill district on April 28. “Since 2001 when I joined politics, no PM has ever visited Karbi Anglong. This shows the commitment of the Modi government which aims to bring peace and development in the region,” he added.
The CM also took part in Bhumi Puja for construction of a 1.4-km-long 4-lane flyover along with a 2-lane extended arm on Lumding-Dimapur Road at Diphu in Karbi Anglong. He said that besides easing traffic in Diphu town, the Rs 243-cr project will set a new milestone in infrastructure growth.