Guwahati, February 8, 2019
The 20-member team of Odisha Fire Services that was engaged in the operation to rescue 13 miners trapped at a flooded rat-hole coal mine in Meghalaya’s East Jaintia Hills returned to Odisha.
It may be mentioned that the Supreme Court on February 4th, 2019 said that it seems certain that the miners are dead. The Centre had earlier told the apex court that it has to believe in miracles now to see the miners alive. It may be recalled that the miners have been trapped in a 370-feet deep illegal mine in Lumthari village in East Jaintia Hills since December 13, 2018.
The fire personnel team said that they have gained a lot of experience by working with the air and naval forces in such harsh conditions. The rescue operation in Meghalaya was challenging in comparison to the operations that were carried out by them earlier, Deputy Fire Officer, Satyapir Behera told media persons.
The first body was detected inside the illegal coal mine on January 17th, 2019 and the second body was detected on January 26th, 2019.