Guwahati, October 3: The Assam government’s decision to permit around 50 Board of Secondary Education, Assam (SEBA) schools to migrate to CBSE has finally come to a halt. Himanta Biswa Sarma, Finance & Education Minister, had earlier announced the government’s decision to allow at least 50 SEBA affiliated schools to go over into CBSE’s fold on the ground of academic excellence, while presenting the State Budget in the Assembly last year.
The Minister had then advocated the migration stating that a major chunk of SEBA students do not succeed in all-India level competitive exams due to dissimilarity in education methodology, core curriculum and assessment system between the State & Central boards.
The sudden announcement was followed by widespread dissent and protests. The All Assam Students Union (AASU) launched a State-wide agitationaccusing the government of formulating a scheme to obliterate SEBA. Instant scrapping of such a move was demanded from well- known personalities of the state.
A memoranda was submitted to Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal and the Education Minister by SEBA officials and employees stating that the SEBA schools were following NCERT recommended textbooks for English, General Mathematics and General Science for Classes IX and X which explains the subjects in all-India perspective but also reflect the local culture, tradition, environment and ethos of the State.Option of choosing a subject like History, Geography or Fine Arts as an elective subject is also given to students by SEBA said an Education Department official.
After much criticism, the Education Department now has finally decided to put its move on hold and has now decided to adopt a hang around and observe policy. The Education Department however maintained that any school wanting to switch over to CBSE on its own will not be restricted. But the Department will not encourage any school to migrate to CBSE as a policy said a source from the Education Department.
The number of schools applying to the Education Department seeking No Objection Certificate (NOC) to migrate to the CBSE has been minimal in between 2010 and 2017. Earlier (prior to 2010), the Education Department received about 10 such applications every month on average. Reportedly a few of the leading schools which had earlier migrated to CBSE is dissatisfied with their decision considering no noteworthy improvement in their students’ academic performances, said sources while speaking to reporters.
The trend of movement of SEBA schools to CBSE will plummet further, said sources as the SEBA at present has kick started extensive reforms lucratively in conducting exams and evaluation.
Recently the government had also decided to give away test booklets after evaluation to maintain transparency.