Amid the worldwide outbreak of the coronavirus, there is no second option than to maintain social distancing to tame the spread of the virus that has claimed over 24,000 people globally.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been repeatedly appealed the citizens to maintain social distancing to prevent the spread of the lethal coronavirus which has infected over 600 people in India and claimed 20 lives so far.
“If you want to tame the spread of the virus, the only way to do it is to break the cycle of transmission by practising social distancing,” Modi said while addressing the nation for the second time on the epidemic.
The PM also dispelled the belief that social distancing should be adopted only by those affected by the virus. “Social distancing is not just for the sick, but for each and every person, including you, your family and even your family,” he added.
Amid the lockdown, that came into effect from March 24th, 2020, midnight, grocery stores across the nation found an innovative way to ensure social distancing as people queue up to buy and stock up on essential items.
Video and photographs of people forming standing in the queues outside groceries on marked spots have surfaced in the social media. It may be mentioned that the essential services and the commodities are exempted from the lockdown.
Each is placed a few feet from the other and individuals can be seen carefully standing inside the marked space and patiently waiting for their turn to buy basic supplies.
Meanwhile, memers on Twitter have also taken initiative to make people aware of social distancing in a humorous way. Recently, the word TAN-DOORI started trending on Twitter. Tan stands for body and Doori means distance.
Here are the top 10 points
- Maintain at least one metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Doctors say that one must practice social distancing in not just the community, but also inside their homes
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth. Because hands touch many surfaces and can pick up viruses.
- Follow good respiratory hygiene. Cover your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
- Seek medical assistance urgently if you have fever, cough and difficulty breathing
- Restrain yourself from stepping out of the house
- Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water.
- If you are a senior citizen – or suffer from pre-existing medical conditions like heart disease or diabetes — social distancing and other precautions are especially crucial. India has asked people aged above 65 and below 10 to stay at home.
- Avoid handshakes and hugs while greeting people.
- Avoid all non-essential travel.
Here are some viral photos and videos