25 C
Saturday, June 19, 2021

    Nirbhaya Case: Convict Mukesh’s Mercy Plea Sent To President

    The Nirbhaya gang-rape incident occurred on December 16th, 2012 in Munirka in South Delhi

    The Union Home Ministry has forwarded the mercy petition of one of the convicts in the Nirbhaya gangrape case has forwarded to President Ram Nath Kovind, recommending its rejection.

    The mercy petition filed by convict Mukesh Singh was sent to Rashtrapati Bhavan on the night of January 16th, 2020. The Delhi Government has earlier rejected the mercy plea of Mukesh. The mercy plea was then forwarded to Lieutenant Governor, who sent it to Union Ministry of Home Affairs. The mercy plea is now pending with President Kovind who will take the final decision.

    As per reports, all the four convicts have been shifted to Tihar prison complex’s jail number 3 where their hanging would take place. However, they are kept in separate cells.

    A sessions court in Delhi on January 7th, 2020 had issued death warrants to the four convicts – Mukhesh, Vinay Sharma, Akshay Thakur and Pawan Gupta – in the Nirbhaya gang-rape case, paving the way for their death sentence.

    Mukesh had filed a mercy petition on January 14th, 2020 against his pending capital punishment. He and Vinay had earlier filed a curative plea before the Supreme Court, however, it was rejected.

    2012 Delhi Gang-Rape Case

    The Nirbhaya gang-rape incident occurred on December 16th, 2012 in Munirka in South Delhi. A 23-year-old female physiotherapy intern was beaten, gang-raped, and tortured in a government bus by six men. Eleven days after the assault, she was transferred to a hospital in Singapore but succumbed to her injuries two days later.

    All the accused were arrested and charged with sexual assault and murder. One of the accused, Ram Singh, died in police custody from possible suicide in the Tihar Jail. Three convicts are lodged in Tihar Jail while the fourth one is in Mandoli’s jail number 14.

    On September 10th, 2013, the four remaining adult defendants – Mukesh, Vinay, Pawan and Akshay Thakur – were found guilty of rape and murder and three days later were sentenced to death by hanging.  The Delhi High Court as well as Supreme Court have upheld the guilty verdict and the death sentences.

    The juvenile was convicted of rape and murder and was sentenced to three years of imprisonment in a reform facility. 

    The brutal gang-rape and murder of the young physiotherapy intern led to nationwide protests. The movement forced the government to set up a committee to review the laws on rape and crime against women.

    Photo credit: prabhatkhabar.com



    Comments are closed.

    Follow TIME8.IN on TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and on YOUTUBE to stay in the know with what’s happening in the world around you – in real time

    First published