The countdown for the publication of the final list of the National Register of Citizens (NRC), has already begun and the Assam government has left no stones unturned for a fair turnout.
The final NRC will be published on August 31st, 2019 and the status of all NRC applicants will be available online from September 7th, 2019.
While the NRC officials are working day and night to ensure an error-free final list, the Assam government is making all possible efforts to strengthen the security apparatus in the run-up to the publication of NRC and post it’s publication.
To avoid any untoward situation, the Assam Police keeping a hawk on all the social media platforms on August 29th, 2019 issued an advisory not to believe on any rumours which might inflict hate and trigger a panic among the people.
Sharing an advisory, the Assam police said, ‘The Goverment has ensured adequate safeguards for people whose name may not appear in the Final NRC. Don’t believe rumors, as some elements are trying to create confusion in society. Safety of citizens is our top priority,’.
Check out the list:
- Non-inclusion of a person’s name in NRC does not amount to his/her being declared a foreigner
- Every individual left out from the final NRC can appeal to the Foreigners Tribunals(FT)
- The time limit for filing appeals in FTs has been increased from 60 to 120 days
- Government will provide legal aid to those needy people who have been excluded from the NRC, through the District Legal Service Authorities
- An increased number of FTs are being established at convenient locations
On the midnight of December 31st, 2017, a partial draft of the NRC was released and subsequently on July 30th, 2018, the complete draft NRC was released. A total of 2,89,83,677 persons were found eligible out of 3,29,91,384 applicants in the final draft of the NRC. The NRC authorities on June 26th, 2019 published an additional draft exclusion list consisting of 1,02,462 persons.