Guwahati, June 24, 2019
19-year-old Indian woman’s hockey striker Lalremsiami from the Northeastern state of Mizoram has recently earned accolades for her exemplary decision to play at the ongoing FIH Series Finals in Hiroshima despite her father’s demise.
Keeping India’s Olympics dream alive, Lalremsiami is setting some real dedication and patriotism goals for the rest of the Indian players to follow. Her father Lalthansanga Zote breathed his last on June 21st, 2019 due to a heart attack.
The young forward, fondly nicknamed ‘Siami’ by her teammates, walked out on the turf even if it meant missing her dad’s funeral back home in Kolasib in Mizoram. She played a part in India beating Chile 4-2 in the semifinal on June 22nd, 2019, and the final of FIH Women’s Series Finals hockey tournament on June 23rd, 2019 by defeating Japan 3-1.
Union Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju acknowledged Lalremsiami’s dedication and tweeted about her father’s death on his official Twitter handle.
Indian women hockey player Lalremsiami's father expired when India was to play a crucial semifinal at Hiroshima that would determine if India's Olympics dream would be alive. She told coach, 'I want to make my father proud. I want to stay, play and make sure India qualifies🇮🇳🙏 pic.twitter.com/V9tlE84z4K
— Kiren Rijiju (@KirenRijiju) June 23, 2019
The Union Minister in a series of tweets congratulated team India and saluted Lalremsiami’s dedication after India defeated Japam and qualified for the FIH Olympic Qualifiers 2019.
Here are things to know about the player:
- Lalremsiami is a professional field hockey player who plays as a forward for the Indian national team. She is fondly nicknamed as ‘Siami’ by her teammates.
- She has scored two of India’s 20 goals in the pool stages of the tournament and has completed 50 international caps in 2019.
- She played a part in India beating Chile 4-2, a victory that not only sent the team into the final but also booked a spot for India in the FIH Olympic qualifiers.
A story of human grit and strength – Lalremsiami
When the Mizo player Lalremsiami received news of her father's demise, her coach gave her the go ahead to fly back home.
She said, 'I want to make my father proud. I want to play& make sure that we qualify."
She did exactly that. pic.twitter.com/CWVGxMelx3
— All India Mahila Congress (@MahilaCongress) June 23, 2019
- At the club level, she plays for Sports Authority of India.
- Lalremsiami was a part of the 18-member squad that represented India at the 2018 World Cup.
- She is the first sportsperson from Mizoram to win an Asiad medal after bagging a silver.
- She started her sports career when she was 11. She got selected to join a hockey academy run by the government of Mizoram in Thenzawl, Serchhip.
- In 2016, she joined the National Hockey Academy in New Delhi.
— Nila Madhab Panda (@nilamadhabpanda) June 24, 2019