New Delhi: The United Nations states on Friday it wants proof of the whereabouts of Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai, who has not been seen in public since she accused the former high-ranking official, Zhang Gaoli, of sexual assault.
The 35-year-old former world doubles number 1, has been missing ever since she made the allegations through in a Weibo post that was deleted half an hour later. It has been drawing mounting concern over her wellbeing since then.
The UN Human Rights Office called for a fully-transparent investigation into the former Grand Slam doubles champion’s claims against Zhang Gaoli.
“It would be important to have proof of her whereabouts and well-being and we would urge that there be an investigation with full transparency into her allegations of sexual assault. We would stress that it’s important to know where she is and her state, know about her well-being.,” Liz Throssell, a spokeswoman for UN rights chief Michelle Bachelet’s office, said in Geneva.
Throssell said it was often very difficult for victims of sexual assault to come forward with their allegations.
“Sexual assault is found in any and every society. With regard to the case of Peng Shuai, we are calling for an investigation with full transparency into her allegation of sexual assault. . It is really important to ensure accountability and justice for the victims, people who have suffered terrible trauma,” she said.
On the other hand, the Women’s Tennis Association is also prepared to pull its tournaments out of China if there isn’t an adequate response to Peng Shuai’s allegation , chief executive Steve Simon has told US media.
In the lengthy November 2 post, Peng alleged that Zhang had forced her into sex after inviting her to his house to play tennis with him and his wife three years ago. She also said she and Zhang had previously had an on-off consensual relationship.