Guwahati: Ace sprinter Hima Das has apparently become a household name after she went on to create history in the field of athletics by winning 5 back-to-back gold medals at an international platform.
The sprint queen’s fifth gold of the month came on July 20th, 2019 in Czech Republic at Nove Mesto nad Metuji Grand Prix. With this win, she returned to her 400-metre race-style clocking season-best time of 52.09 seconds.
Soon after her win, the ‘Dhing Express’ became a sensation on the social media as Twitterati have not stopped gushing about her win adding prefixes to her name. From Prime Minister Narendra Modi, President Ram Nath Kovind to sports personalities, Bollywood superstars, wishes are pouring in from across the country for the Assam sprinter.
The Prime Minister took to the microblogging site Twitter and congratulated Hima for her phenomenal achievements and also wished her for future endeavours.
To this, Hima responded that she will continue to work hard and bring more medals for the country.
President of India Ram Nath Kovind also congratulated ‘incredible’ Hima and said that the winning trend may ‘set the pace for glory at the 2020 Olympic Games’.
Legendary cricketer Sachin Tendulkar also showered praises on the ‘Golden girl’. “Loving the way you have been running in the European circuit over the last 19 days. Your hunger to win and perseverance is an inspiration for the youth. Congrats on your 5 Medals! All the best for the future races,” Tendulkar wrote on Twitter.
Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan referred Hima as ‘special’. “This is an incredible finish .. in the 400 meters to give that kind of a spurt in the last 15-20 meters is an IMPOSSIBLE FEAT ! AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING ..HIMA DAS .. you are something special .. !!,” the Shahenshah of B-Town tweeted.
Bollywood actor Anushka Sharma said Hima is ‘an exemplary example of solid grit & determination & a huge inspiration to young girls’. Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli also lauded the ‘phenomenal achievement’ of Hima.
Check out the list of Hima’s win in July so far:
- Hima won her first international gold on July 2nd, 2019 at Poznan Athletics Grand Prix in Poland at her first competitive 200m race of the year. She clocked 23.65 seconds.
- The ‘Dhing Express’ cliched her second gold on July 7th, 2019 at the Kutno Athletics Meet in Poland for the women’s 200 meter race. The national record holder of 400m clocked 23.97 seconds.
- She won her third gold at the Kladno Memorial Athletics Meet in the Czech Republic on July 13th, 2019 with a timing of 23.43 seconds.
- Hima achieved her fourth gold at the Tabor Athletics Meet in the Czech Republic on July 17th, 2019. She won the 200-meter race in 23.25 seconds.
- Getting back on track to her 400-m best, Hima won her fifth gold of the month in the Czech Republic on July 20th, 2019, with a season-best time of 52.09 seconds.