Won’t Withdraw Central Forces Deployed In Assam For NRC: Centre To SC

Guwahati, March 13, 2019

The Centre on March 13th, 2019 told the Supreme Court that the Central forces deployed in the state of Assam for National Register of Assam (NRC) work will not be withdrawn for the ensuing Lok Sabha elections.

Attorney General K K Venugopal appearing for the Centre said that the government has directed that the 167 companies deployed in Assam will continue to remain in Assam till July 31st, 2019, the deadline fixed for the publication of the NRC. The next hearing is on March 26th, 2019.

A bench of Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi and Justice R F Nariman allowed the plea forwarded by State NRC coordinator to employ additional manpower including data operators, information technology personnel, and other technical pieces of equipment to set up quality check units at different places in the process of examining the claims.

The apex court had allowed 2,000 state employees who were so far engaged in the NRC work to be spared for the election duties. As many as 3457 would continue to work for the NRC, it directed.

It may be mentioned, on February 5th, 2019, the apex court slammed the Ministry of Home Affairs for its plea seeking to stall the NRC work for two weeks keeping in mind the role of Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) in the election duty.

The court will hear the plea of a retired Air Force Sergeant Sadullah Ahmed whose name along with his two sons, were not included in the draft NRC of Assam on March 26th, 2019.

The draft National Register of Citizens for Assam was published on July 30, 2018, in which the names of 2.89 crores of the 3.29 crore people were included. The names of 40,70,707 people did not figure in the list. Of these, 37,59,630 names have been rejected and the remaining 2,48,077 are on hold.